Re: Quoting styles, cont (Was Re: Fonts in GTK)

On Tuesday 04 September 2001 22:43 pm, Craig Dickson wrote:

> Karsten is using the word as it is commonly used among computer
> professionals. When some previously-common (or even not so common)
> practice or standard is superseded and no longer recommended, it is said
> to be "deprecated". One often sees a phrase such as "strongly deprecated"
> in reference to something that is not merely no longer recommended, but
> actively discouraged or considered a Very Bad Thing.

Except that in this case we're not talking about a practice that was not
previously common or even not so common.  We're talking about a practice that
was virtually unknown until Microsoft flooded the market with badly broken
mail and news clients that make it very difficult to properly quote or
attribute anything.

--
Bud Rogers <budr@sirinet.net>   http://www.sirinet.net/~budr
All things in moderation.  And not too much moderation either.