Re: Quoting styles, cont (Was Re: Fonts in GTK)

On Tue, Sep 04, 2001 at 08:43:02PM -0700, Craig Dickson wrote:
> Eric G. Miller wrote:
>
> > >     but this practice is strongly deprecated.
> >                            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > 			   Hell does that mean?
> >
> > Webster's Ninth Collegiate Dictionary has this to say...
> >
> >     dep-re-cate  1. to express mild or regretful disapproval of  2.
> >     DEPRECIATE
> >
> > I "strongly mildly dissapprove" of that quoting convention! Huh?
>
> Karsten is using the word as it is commonly used among computer
> professionals. When some previously-common (or even not so common)
> practice or standard is superseded and no longer recommended, it is said
> to be "deprecated". One often sees a phrase such as "strongly deprecated"
> in reference to something that is not merely no longer recommended, but
> actively discouraged or considered a Very Bad Thing.

Well, I understand the meaning of deprecated.  And I understand it's
usage in technology.  The point was, "deprecate" should not be used in
the context where a stonger term is appropriate as it means "mild
disapproval".  It ranks with phrases like "pretty ugly"...

Oh, hell! Nevermind...

--
Eric G. Miller <egm2@jps.net>