Re: Quoting styles, cont (Was Re: Fonts in GTK)

On Tue, Sep 04, 2001 at 18:11:03 -0700, Eric G. Miller wrote:
> Webster's Ninth Collegiate Dictionary has this to say...
>
>     dep-re-cate  1. to express mild or regretful disapproval of  2.
>     DEPRECIATE

The Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary, 5th ed. says "to feel and express
disapproval of sth"; no "mild" there.

And dict(1) includes:
	From WordNet (r) 1.6 [wn]:

	  deprecate
	       v 1: express strong disapproval of; deplore
	       2: belittle; "The teacher should not deprecate his student's
		  efforts" [syn: {depreciate}]

So we have the whole spectrum (mild, neutral/unspecified strength,
strong)... don't you just love the fluidity of natural language?

Ray
--
RUMOUR  Believe all you hear. Your world may  not be a better one than the one
the blocks  live in but it'll be a sight more vivid.