Re: Quoting styles, cont (Was Re: Fonts in GTK)

On Tue, Sep 04, 2001 at 06:11:03PM -0700, Eric G. Miller wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 04, 2001 at 03:10:27PM -0700, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> >     but this practice is strongly deprecated.
>                            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> 			   Hell does that mean?
>
> Webster's Ninth Collegiate Dictionary has this to say...
>
>     dep-re-cate  1. to express mild or regretful disapproval of  2.
>     DEPRECIATE
>
> I "strongly mildly dissapprove" of that quoting convention! Huh?

"deprecate" is a common technical term (hang out at the IETF for a
while).  When a standard is trached, it is marked "deprecated" so
people know that though they might have to put up with it from others,
they shouldn't implement or use it themselves.

Perhaps Karsten should have used "discouraged" rather than deprecated,
but close enough.

Micromuse Ltd.                 | than a perfect plan tomorrow.