Stop the beeping

Hi there.  I am up-to-date with Debian unstable on an x86 machine.  I
installed a lot of GNOME junk including Galeon, Nautilus, and Gnumeric.  I
also installed alsa 0.9.0b7 from sources, including OSS emulation.  Then I
installed esound.

My problem is that the machine beeps a lot via the PC Speaker.  For
example, Sometimes when Galeon opens a new window, it beeps.  Sometimes
the machine just beeps and I'm not doing anything.  It always beeps when I
shade/unshade a window.  I have turned off beeping at the console (via
setterm), and I have enable esound.  I can see it running:

  261 ?        S      0:00 esd -nobeeps
jwb@heat:~$ ls -l /proc/261/fd/
l-wx------    1 jwb      jwb            64 Aug 28 11:27 5 -> /dev/dsp0

Yet, the damn machine still beeps.  I recall during my lengthy apt-get
that I was asked whether I had a sound device, and I replied NO because at
the time, I did not.  How can I reconfigure this?

Is there a system-wide way to get rid of the system beep?  Perhaps I can
compile it out of the kernel?

Please advise me on how to stop this maddening beep before I go nuts.

Regards,
Jeffrey Baker

P.S. XMMS and aplay work fine.