Re: Loadlin Memory Limit

On Tue, Aug 28, 2001 at 01:21:31PM -0700, Larry Fletcher wrote:
> On Aug 28, 2001, Nathan E Norman wrote:
> > >
> > > You could add a "mem=256" argument to the kernel.  I don't remember
> > > how this would be done with loadlin.
> >
> > Better try "mem=256M" instead ... 256 bytes of memory would be painful.
> > Simply place this argument after the kernel image name on the loadlin
> > line.
>
> I just bought a new computer with 256MB of RAM and using Loadlin all
> of it showed up without adding "mem=256m".  So I don't think Loadlin
> is the problem unless it's an old version.

Nobody's saying loadlin is the problem.  The problem is that some BIOS
chipsets don't allow the kernel to detect more than 64MB of RAM
(Compaqs are famous for this).  When this happens, you need to pass a
boot parameter to the kernel telling it how much RAM you have (or, you
can just run linux with 64MB ... seems a bit of a waste if you've paid
for a bunch of RAM though).

I've owned systems that needed the mem= argument, and systems that
didn't.

Micromuse Ltd.                 | than a perfect plan tomorrow.