Re: Do I need ldso

On 25 Aug 2001, John Hasler wrote:
> Anthony Campbell wrote:
> > Well, this was why I asked the question originally. Dlocate -s says that
> > ldso is in the oldlibs section and is optional, yet if you tell apt-get
> > to remove it you are told it is essential and you have to remove it
> > explicitly. I don't see how it can be both optional and essential.
>
> I just now upgraded ldso to 1.9.11-15 on my unstable box and took a look.
> dpkg claims that it is essential while apt-get says it's optional.  Apt
> removed it without complaining.
>
> Looks like some sort of a packaging bug.  I wrote to the maintainer about
> it.
> --
> John Hasler
> john@dhh.gt.org
> Dancing Horse Hill
> Elmwood, Wisconsin

I did this too, and then removed it with with apt-get (had to insist)
and nothing terrible happened. However, when I did my daily apt-get
dist-upgrade from testing it reinstalled it, so it's evidently keen to
have it there!

--
Anthony Campbell - running Debian GNU/Linux (Windows-free zone).
For electronic books (Homeomythology and The Assassins of Alamut), skeptical

Most that is said, most that is written, will be dust within ten years;
most of our efforts are the drums and tramplings of a nursery; I do not
like nurseries that never laugh.                [F.L. Lucas]