Galeon problem ...

On Fri, Aug 24, 2001 at 08:49:36AM -0500, Richard Cobbe wrote:
> Lo, on Friday, August 24, Karsten M. Self did write:
>
> > Solve these two problems by ditching the proprietary crap.  On a 300MHz+
> > CPU, Galeon kicks Netscape's ass off the planet.  On older hardware,
> > life's a bit more difficult, but Dillo's good enough for basic browsing,
> > w3m has ssl support, and there's BrowseX (not packaged for Debian) which
> > is full-featured from what I understand.
>
> Sounds great.  I have, however, just blown an hour trying to get the thing
> working, with no success.  It builds, but every time I start it, I get a
> dialog informing me that it ``Cannot find schema for galeon preferences.
> Check your gconf setup, look at galeon FAQ for more information.'  Tried
> the FAQ, followed its instructions; it was not helpful.
>
> I can't access the pre-built Debian packages at
>     deb ftp://galeon.sourceforge.net/pub/galeon/nightly/debian galeon/
> I'm not sure, but I think it has something to do with my employer's
> firewall---I can't even get through with a traditional FTP client.  (Well,
> I can log on, but the first data transfer I try fails with a `Passive mode
> refused' error.)
>
> As attractive as galeon may be, I don't have this kind of time.

I had that problem as well, but I got it to work.  One difference is that
built galeon from a tarball (ver 0.12) and installed it in /usr/local/
instead of a deb source package.

I made a link in /etc/gconf/schemas to
/usr/local/etc/gconf/schemas/galeon.schemas.  That should have worked but
it didn't.  Then I discovered the entries in ~/.gconf/schemas/apps/galeon/
had owners.group values of group.group instead of yap.yap .  Changed that,
and galeon now starts up fine.

--
steven yap