Re: Galeon problem ...

Lo, on Friday, August 24, Steven Yap did write:

> On Fri, Aug 24, 2001 at 08:49:36AM -0500, Richard Cobbe wrote:
> >
> > Sounds great.  I have, however, just blown an hour trying to get the thing
> > working, with no success.

<SNIP>

> > As attractive as galeon may be, I don't have this kind of time.
>
> I had that problem as well, but I got it to work.  One difference is that
> built galeon from a tarball (ver 0.12) and installed it in /usr/local/
> instead of a deb source package.

Yeah, I've done the same.  I can't actually get to the debian packages.  I
don't know if it's significant, but I didn't supply any arguments to
./configure.

> I made a link in /etc/gconf/schemas to
> /usr/local/etc/gconf/schemas/galeon.schemas.

Ok, done.  As you say, it didn't work---same error.

> That should have worked but it didn't.  Then I discovered the entries in
> ~/.gconf/schemas/apps/galeon/ had owners.group values of group.group
> instead of yap.yap .  Changed that, and galeon now starts up fine.

[rcclinux:~]$ /bin/ls -AlF ~/.gconf
total 4
drwx--S---    2 cobbe    cobbe        4096 Aug 24 12:17 %gconf-xml-backend.lock/

I'm obviously missing something here.  I tried creating the directory you
mentioned, but that didn't help either---same error.

I should point out that, while I've got the gnome libraries and a variety
of gnome apps (like gnucash, gnumeric, and dia) installed, I don't actually
use the gnome desktop.  Is that system perhaps creating some files that
galeon's looking for?

Richard
--
 /"\