Re: Multiple X servers?

on Thu, Aug 23, 2001 at 12:51:50PM -0500, Richard Cobbe (rcc@inet.com) wrote:
> Greetings, all.
>
> I'm running a stock Potato r3, and I'm having some difficulty getting X to
> cooperate.  My computer uses the Intel i810 chipset on its video hardware,
> and I've downloaded the necessary modules and X server from Intel, and in
> general, things are working fine.
>
> Intel's X server for this chipset does not currently support 32bpp, so I'm
> running at 24.  This makes a number of applications slightly cranky: some
> of Netscape's icons don't display correctly, and acroread either crashes or
> displays the document incorrectly.

Solve these two problems by ditching the proprietary crap.  On a 300MHz+
CPU, Galeon kicks Netscape's ass off the planet.  On older hardware,
life's a bit more difficult, but Dillo's good enough for basic browsing,
w3m has ssl support, and there's BrowseX (not packaged for Debian) which
is full-featured from what I understand.

GV will read many PDFs, xdpf should read the rest.  Boycott Adobe!

> I don't want to run 16bpp on a regular basis, because my monitor doesn't
> handle that particular video mode as well---it displays, but it's not as
> crisp as 24/32 bpp modes.

You've got a compromise situation here.  You makes your choice, you
takes your licks.

> I'd like to run two X servers on this machine: one in 24bpp on vt7,
> for my normal stuff, and one in 16bpp mode on vt8 for those apps which
> can't handle 24bpp mode.  (I'm not running [xgk]dm or any of the other
> display managers.)  I've done this previously under RH6.2, so I know
> this is possible in theory.

Possible alternative:  Xnest.  You should be able to run 24 + 16 bpp in
Xnest for broken apps if you insist on running them.

> So.  As a normal user, I tried `startx -- -bpp 24 :0', and this worked
> fine.  After this, I switched back to a text console and did
> `startx -- -bpp 16 :1'.  This brought up an X server on vt8, but all of the
> clients started in my .xsession appeared on display :0, not display :1.
> Since FVWM refuses to run on display twice, this second server terminates
> as soon as it gets through the interactive bits of my .xsession.

I think display may need to be the first server argument:

    $ startx -- :<display> -<arguments>

You can also set up lines in the Xservers file of your X display
manager --  [xwgk]dm.

Hmm...I'm finding that startx doesn't respect my server specification.
but xinit does.  Odd.  Investigate this (I'm using testing here), may be
a bug.

E.g.:

    $ startx -- :1
    $ startx -- :2
    $ startx

...all fail.

    $ xinit -- :1

...works as expected.

...this is with an existing X session on :0.