Re: Multiple X servers?

Lo, on Friday, August 24, Karsten M. Self did write:

> --kunpHVz1op/+13PW

Why doesn't the debian-user-digest list handle this right?

<quoted-printable droppings edited out throughout.>

> on Thu, Aug 23, 2001 at 12:51:50PM -0500, Richard Cobbe (rcc@inet.com)
> wrote:
> > Greetings, all.
> >
> > I'm running a stock Potato r3, and I'm having some difficulty getting X
> > to cooperate.  My computer uses the Intel i810 chipset on its video
> > hardware, and I've downloaded the necessary modules and X server from
> > Intel, and in general, things are working fine.
> >
> > Intel's X server for this chipset does not currently support 32bpp, so
> > I'm running at 24.  This makes a number of applications slightly
> > cranky: some of Netscape's icons don't display correctly, and acroread
> > either crashes or displays the document incorrectly.
>
> Solve these two problems by ditching the proprietary crap.  On a 300MHz+
> CPU, Galeon kicks Netscape's ass off the planet.  On older hardware,
> life's a bit more difficult, but Dillo's good enough for basic browsing,
> w3m has ssl support, and there's BrowseX (not packaged for Debian) which
> is full-featured from what I understand.

Sounds great.  I have, however, just blown an hour trying to get the thing
working, with no success.  It builds, but every time I start it, I get a
dialog informing me that it ``Cannot find schema for galeon preferences.
Check your gconf setup, look at galeon FAQ for more information.'  Tried
the FAQ, followed its instructions; it was not helpful.

I can't access the pre-built Debian packages at
    deb ftp://galeon.sourceforge.net/pub/galeon/nightly/debian galeon/
I'm not sure, but I think it has something to do with my employer's
firewall---I can't even get through with a traditional FTP client.  (Well,
I can log on, but the first data transfer I try fails with a `Passive mode
refused' error.)

As attractive as galeon may be, I don't have this kind of time.

> GV will read many PDFs, xdpf should read the rest.  Boycott Adobe!

Love to.  Unfortunately, `should' is rather the operative word there.  xpdf
can't handle colors very well, as in
<http://paris.cs.berkeley.edu/~dawnsong/papers/ssh-timing.pdf>.  This lack
makes a number of the graphs in this document unreadable.

In addition, some of acroread's features are necessary, like the
`Bookmarks' pane down the left.  This is pretty critical when I'm dealing
with, for instance, the ANSI C language spec, where the index lists
*section* numbers, not page numbers.

> > I don't want to run 16bpp on a regular basis, because my monitor doesn't
> > handle that particular video mode as well---it displays, but it's not as
> > crisp as 24/32 bpp modes.
>
> You've got a compromise situation here.  You makes your choice, you
> takes your licks.

Yes, thanks, I understood that.  However, based on previous experience, I
figured I'd be able to have my cake and eat it too.  As I say, I've done
the multiple X server thing before.

> I think display may need to be the first server argument:
>
>     $ startx -- :<display> -<arguments>

That was it.  Thanks.

I may try your Xnest solution as well; it beats switching back and forth
between different virtual consoles.

> Hmm...I'm finding that startx doesn't respect my server specification.
> but xinit does.  Odd.  Investigate this (I'm using testing here), may be
> a bug.

Well, `startx -- :1 -bpp 16' works for me.  I'm running stable with a heavy
dose of Ximian thrown in, so it's hard to say where the problem is; it may
even be on my side.

--
 /"\
 \ /