From: Noah Meyerhans [mailto:noahm@debian.org]
Sent: Thursday, August 23, 2001 2:47 PM
To: Abner Gershon
Cc: Debian User Group
Subject: Re: Debian dream machine?

On Thu, Aug 23, 2001 at 01:01:36PM -0700, Abner Gershon wrote:
> I am planning on building a computer from various
> components with the intent of setting it up to dual
> boot to Debian and Windows ME. Initially I had ordered
> an Athalon 1.3 Ghz processor and Abit KT7A motherboard
> but then got cold feet and canceled my order after
> reading some negative posts on this mailing list
> regarding AMD cpu's and VIA chipsets on motherboards.

I've not had any trouble at all with my KT7A+1.2 GHz Athlon.  It seems
that the few people having problems are only having problems when
building a kernel optimized for the Athlon.  That just sounds like
kernel bugs to me, which will no doubt get worked out eventually.
Optimizing for 386 should work fine, and the CPU is fast enough that
you'll not notice a difference either way (trust me...they're fast).

If you read the review of the KT7A on http://www.arstechnica.com, you'll
see that they really liked this motherboard.  Also check out
http://www.linuxhardware.org/features/01/08/16/1517235.shtml (it was
linked from slashdot today) for some comparison on Linux on Athlon
boards.

noah