Re: Gnome panel + sawfish = very slow ?

First, thanks to Johnny and Stephan.

> You can start Gnome in two ways in your .xsession:
>
> start the panel
> start a windowmanager
>
> This will work, but will not be session managed.
>
> The smarter way is:
>
> gnome-session
>
> Gnome-session (and do NOT start a window manager manually before or after)
>
> Gnome-session will automatically start the window manager noted in the
> environment variable WINDOW_MANAGER (note the underscore)
> And this way you will recieve session management.
>
> I suspect that the sluggishness of your setup comes from 2 sawfish
> biting at eachother.
> - The one you started manually
> - The one gnome-session starts
>
> They probably don't like eachother.

I don't have gnome-session installed at all.  I was just running panel from
an rxvt window.

I'll install gnome-session and see if it helps.  If it does, I tend to
think it is a bug that running panel from an rxvt causes such
sluggishness; it really is unusable.

If it doesn't help, well something else is wrong :-)

Neil.