Gnome panel + sawfish = very slow ?

I installed sawfish about 3 wks ago, and have installed a couple of
revisions of gnome panel since then.  However, if I bring up panel
after starting sawfish, dragging a window becomes jerky and slow.  I
don't remember this behaviour in WindowMaker.  Somtimes, but not
always, panel complains about Sawfish not being Gnome compliant.  So I
suspect it is trying to make up for the supposed non-compliance by
hooking into a lot of events it wouldn't otherwise.  Other
panel-related things are sluggish too, like menu drawing and tracing
them with the mouse.  Without panel, everything is snappy, but Sawfish
is a bit limited :-(

I know Sawfish is compliant, so what could be wrong?

I'm running the latest debian unstable, XFree 4.1.

Neil.