Re: Gnome panel + sawfish = very slow ?

Thus spake Neil Booth:
> I installed sawfish about 3 wks ago, and have installed a couple of
> revisions of gnome panel since then.  However, if I bring up panel
> after starting sawfish, dragging a window becomes jerky and slow.  I
> don't remember this behaviour in WindowMaker.  Somtimes, but not
> always, panel complains about Sawfish not being Gnome compliant.  So I
> suspect it is trying to make up for the supposed non-compliance by
> hooking into a lot of events it wouldn't otherwise.  Other
> panel-related things are sluggish too, like menu drawing and tracing
> them with the mouse.  Without panel, everything is snappy, but Sawfish
> is a bit limited :-(
>
> I know Sawfish is compliant, so what could be wrong?
>
> I'm running the latest debian unstable, XFree 4.1.
>
> Neil.
>

> --

I had this problem for a while - it seems that the problem was my ~/.xsession
looked something like this:
# ~/.xsession  --  config file for startx

# Launch applications here (followed by &)
# gnome-terminal &

# Launch your window manager (or desktop environment)
# here (no &).
/usr/bin/sawfish
gnome-session

when it should have looked like:
# ~/.xsession  --  config file for startx

# Launch applications here (followed by &)
# gnome-terminal &

# Launch your window manager (or desktop environment)
# here (no &).
#/usr/bin/sawfish
gnome-session

Gnome no longer (I think) wants you to specify the window manager from the
.xsession file - it will start your first X session with the system default,
and you can then specify from a variety of installed ones.  Since I
changed it, it runs much faster and happier than before.
Good luck,
Steve