Re: Gnome panel + sawfish = very slow ?

On Thu, 23 Aug 2001, Stephen Gran wrote:
> Thus spake Neil Booth:
> > I installed sawfish about 3 wks ago, and have installed a couple of
> > revisions of gnome panel since then.  However, if I bring up panel
> > after starting sawfish, dragging a window becomes jerky and slow.  I
> > don't remember this behaviour in WindowMaker.  Somtimes, but not
> > always, panel complains about Sawfish not being Gnome compliant.  So I
> > suspect it is trying to make up for the supposed non-compliance by
> > hooking into a lot of events it wouldn't otherwise.  Other
> > panel-related things are sluggish too, like menu drawing and tracing
> > them with the mouse.  Without panel, everything is snappy, but Sawfish
> > is a bit limited :-(
> >
> > I know Sawfish is compliant, so what could be wrong?
> >
> > I'm running the latest debian unstable, XFree 4.1.
> >
> > Neil.
> >

> > --
>
> I had this problem for a while - it seems that the problem was my ~/.xsession
> looked something like this:
> # ~/.xsession  --  config file for startx
>
> # Launch applications here (followed by &)
> # gnome-terminal &
>
> # Launch your window manager (or desktop environment)
> # here (no &).
> /usr/bin/sawfish
> gnome-session
>
> when it should have looked like:
> # ~/.xsession  --  config file for startx
>
> # Launch applications here (followed by &)
> # gnome-terminal &
>
> # Launch your window manager (or desktop environment)
> # here (no &).
> #/usr/bin/sawfish
> gnome-session
>
> Gnome no longer (I think) wants you to specify the window manager from the
> .xsession file - it will start your first X session with the system default,
> aand you can then specify from a variety of installed ones.  Since I
> changed it, it runs much faster and happier than before.
> Good luck,

Steve is oh so close.

You can start Gnome in two ways in your .xsession:

start the panel
start a windowmanager

This will work, but will not be session managed.

The smarter way is:

gnome-session

Gnome-session (and do NOT start a window manager manually before or after)

Gnome-session will automatically start the window manager noted in the
environment variable WINDOW_MANAGER (note the underscore)
And this way you will recieve session management.

I suspect that the sluggishness of your setup comes from 2 sawfish
biting at eachother.
- The one you started manually
- The one gnome-session starts

They probably don't like eachother.