Progeny vs. Libranet vs Pure Debian.

I was wondering what the best way to install and then maintain debian is.

I have tried libranet, but not progeny or just pure debian (beyond 2.1 that
is).

I want a simple install, and hard-ware recognition on the level of mandrake
(they say they can get 3D support with an ati rage128 (2000), whereas progeny
says it does not.  Good printer support is a must, but I also want to get
under the hood.  (I ruled out mandrake as I had an rpm muckup that trashed my
box and had me starting over with debian.  Debian packaging is superior (A
Mandrake distro based on debs would be the ultimate in my humble opinion).

Does anyone have any experience with progeny? (eg. getting it then upgrading
to debian unstable, mixing packages, etc)

What is the best way?