V4L Problems

I'm running Debian Woody with a 2.4.9 kernel that I compiled myself.

Prior to using Debian, I ran Red Hat 6.1 with a 2.4.3 kernel. I have a
Philips USB webcam that uses the se401 driver
(http://members.brabant.chello.nl/~j.vreeken/se401/  included in the kernel
as of 2.4.6), which works with Video4Linux. Under Red Hat, my camera worked
fine. I could grab frames from it using vidcat (part of the w3cam tools)
without any problems.

Now that I am using Debian, however, whenever I try to grab a frame, my
system hangs and I have to press the reset button. No error data seems to
be generated in any of the logs, so I'm totally at a loss for what is
causing this.

When the camera worked, I was using Red Hat 6.1 with a 2.4.3 kernel, and
the camera driver had to be compiled and loaded from user space. When I
switched to Debian, the 2.4.5 kernel was out, so I used that, and began
having problems at that point. When the driver was added to the kernel in
2.4.6, I switched to that, without success. The author says that he has not
heard of anyone having problems when using it in 2.4.6.

At this point, I suspect that there is something I don't know about using
Video4Linux in Debian. There aren't many variables related to the camera in
the kernel, so I'm pretty sure I have it compiled correctly.

I know this doesn't give very much to go on, but I've been stumped for
weeks. I know this camera can work in Linux, and I'm determined to solve
the problem. If anyone can shed some light on the process, I would
appreciate it immensely. Thanks.

--
Owen B. Mehegan (owen@nerdnetworks.org)
http://www.nerdnetworks.org