Re: sysadmin won't allow linux - PLEASE HELP

On 16 Aug 2001, at 22:01, Allen Wayne Best wrote:

> On Wednesday 15 August 2001 21:44, Michael Heldebrant pronounced:

> > > Even the US Postal Service uses Linux ;-)
> >
> > My prediction is that Linux will be outlawed in 3 years as a system
> > which is legaly declared as "primarily" for copyright circumvention.
> > Just wait until MS buys their way out of the lawsuit with the
> > republicans.  MS will then continue to erode their own users rights in
> > favor of the DVDCCA, RIAA and MPAA and whine that linux should be forced
> > to as well.  I doubt Linux will be implementing these mandatory
> > copyright controls and other bunk.  Hence 3 years from now the DMCA (I'm
> > sure with additional resitrictive changes) will make us all criminals.
> > I think we should all move offshore now really.  I really hope it
> > doesn't happen but I can certainly see it.
> >
> > --mike
> >

> 1984??
>
> certainly, mega$#!+ would like for us to believe that. and spreads fud,
> despair, and hopelessness to the unassimilated. (see os/2 and the cooperation
> provided by ibm!) but handwringing is not for me.
>
> linux is here to stay - that is, until a better linux comes along. more
> likely what will happen in three years is mega$#!+ will learn to play with
> linux, *or* they will be assimulated! the latter is my goal!

Hi all:
 Ms in the past has not used law makers (maybe this is why they
were hit with the law suit) to take down competing technology.
Instead they lie, steal, or cheat some company of what they
produce and include their resion with the operating system giving
them an unfair advantage. So if they follow their past behaviour, the
rest of the computers will be getting linux in their operating system
and therfore a more stable system!!
 As to linux being viral, I'm guessing that they are assuming the
majority of viruses and worms (or what have you) are being
produced on a linux system. After all, linux has always been a
programmers domain. This is the reason us non-progranning
nenbers have such a steep learning curve. Manuals and help and
help and even advice given by many of the kind debian-user
advisors are often programming in nature. So I would further guess
that they are guessing that a few of these hard working
programmers are motivated to work on tlinux os because they are
angry that they have (or did at one time) had to put up with a poor
os (ms that is) which they could repair if they could only get a hold
of the source code. Would it be surprising if one or two of these so
motivated individuals (living in the antarctic say) decided to teach
the world how sloppy ms os is by writing a worm exploiting the one
or two weaknesses to be found in ms?
 Well they sould be ashamed to believe such a thing.   Dean