Re: Classic Windoze lockup while in X (Gnome)

On Wed, Aug 15, 2001 at 01:51:02PM -0500, Nathan E Norman wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 15, 2001 at 11:40:22AM -0700, Paul Scott wrote:
> > So it is true that even though Linux should almost never crash that X
> > lockups like this happen and that there is no way to kill the X session
> > from the same machine when it happens?
>
> Well, X runs as root so it's able to cause rather spectacular problems
> :)
>
> I'm late to the thread, so please excuse me if this has already been
> mentioned ... have you tried leftctrl-leftalt-backspace?  That should
> kill the Xserver unless the keyboard is AFU.  likewise
> leftctrl-leftalt-f1 should conjure up a console though again, if the
> keyboard is AFU this might not work.  At this point your best hope is
> leftalt-sysreq (assuming you've compiled this into your kernel :)
>
> Barring that, external access is your best bet.  You should be able to
> pick up two cheesy ethernet cards and a cheesy hub for ~$50 USD.

Of course, if you are only linking two machines, you can eliminate the
hub, use a crossover cable and drop the cost to ~$20 USD or less,
depending on how cheesy a card you can find.  I'm still using 10base2
(which is probably hard to find these days) and NE2000 clones to run 3
machines without a hub.