Re: META QUESTION: how to read a bulk list (and stay happy :-)

On Tue, Aug 14, 2001 at 11:09:43PM -0500, Rich Puhek wrote:
| dman wrote:
| >
| > On Tue, Aug 14, 2001 at 10:24:31PM -0500, Rich Puhek wrote:
| >
| > | Personally, I'm stuck with an NT box at work, so I end up using Netscape
| >
| > Not to fear -- mutt works great with cygwin (just patch attachment.c
| > to use binary mode for opening files or else M$ will screw up the
| > streams)!  I haven't tried fetchmail or procmail though (I ssh to the
| > school's system like I'm doing now which is Solaris).
|
| I suppose I could try that. Problem is, I'm really an elm guy for text
| mail reader (not too surprising to see a :x at the bottom of my Windows
| emails). Of course, now I switched to Maildir/ format, so I'm back to
| pine.

Anyways, I used to use elm mainly because it was simpler than pine and
those were the only console mailers I knew of.  Somebody introduced me
to mutt one time and I haven't looked for another mailer since.
Mutt's author used to be on the elm dev team so mutt has really
similar keybindings -- it shouldn't take you any time to get used to
it.  Mutt uses screen real estate more efficiently than elm, allows
multiple folders to receive new mail (that is, it flags the mailbox
and the messages as "new"), and can sort messages by thread.  Until
you've seen a large list like this sorted by thread, you have no idea
how useful a feature it is.  Mutt also supports like 4 different
mailbox formats too.

-D