Re: mount permission problems

    P> Hey Bob.  Puzzling one this.  You should cc the group on all
    P> mail as athere are way more skilled players than me.

Sorry. I thought I was. I have to remember to hit 'F' instead of 'R'
when replying.

    P> soemting is very odd here.  As root you can go to / and command
    P> rm -rf /* and watch the whole OS disappear.  So I don't
    P> understand why you * can't chown the contents of the partition.

    P> Next step:

    P> As root:

    P> mkdir /testdir chown sue /testdir mount -t msdos /dev/hda??
    P> /testdir ls /testdir

    P> You ought to see the contents of /testdir.

    P> chown -R /testdir/*

That's an error. Invalid user. I hope you meant to say:

chown -R sue /testdir/*

and if you did, here's the bottom of what scrolled off my xterm:

chown: /testdir/recycled/de14/sprynet/agent.ini: Operation not permitted
chown: /testdir/recycled/de14/sprynet/custenu.tlx: Operation not permitted
chown: /testdir/recycled/de14/sprynet/groups.dat: Operation not permitted
chown: /testdir/recycled/de14/sprynet/groups.idx: Operation not permitted
chown: /testdir/recycled/de14/sprynet/grpdat.bak: Operation not permitted
chown: /testdir/recycled/de14/sprynet/grpidx.bak: Operation not permitted
chown: /testdir/recycled/de14/sprynet/layout.dat: Operation not permitted
chown: /testdir/recycled/de14/sprynet/mailfilt.old: Operation not permitted
chown: /testdir/recycled/de14/sprynet/mfilters.dat: Operation not permitted
chown: /testdir/recycled/de14/sprynet/mfilters.idx: Operation not permitted
chown: /testdir/recycled/de14/sprynet/mwords.dat: Operation not permitted
chown: /testdir/recycled/de14/sprynet/mwords.idx: Operation not permitted
chown: /testdir/recycled/de14/sprynet/outbox.dat: Operation not permitted
chown: /testdir/recycled/de14/sprynet/outbox.idx: Operation not permitted
chown: /testdir/recycled/de14/sprynet/personal.aab: Operation not permitted
chown: /testdir/recycled/de14/sprynet/ranges.dat: Operation not permitted
chown: /testdir/recycled/de14/sprynet/shortc~1.lnk: Operation not permitted
chown: /testdir/recycled/de14/sprynet/urltype.dat: Operation not permitted
chown: /testdir/summary.dat: Operation not permitted
bear:~#

    P> If this doesn't work,

    P> chown -R /testdir/* > chownfail.txt

    P> mail -s Re:mountpermissionproblems debian-user@lists.debian.org
    P> <chownfail.txt

See if cc'ing the group and the copy/paste above does it.

--

Robert Koss, Ph.D.     | Training, Mentoring, Contract Development
Senior Consultant      | Object Oriented Design, C++, Java