Re: AucTeX question

On Thu, 9 Aug 2001, Sabino Maggi wrote:

> I have installed AucTeX on my debian system, choosing to auto-load it by
> default.
>
> However, if I run Xemacs on a LateX file, I always need to enable the
> math mode by hand (C-c ~ or from the menu "LaTeX/miscellaneous/Math
> mode").
> I wonder why it is not enabled by default. Is this normal or am I doing
> something wrong?

I think this is normal. If you want math mode enabled by default, I
suggest adding an appropriate line in .emacs.

The following seems to work for me.

;;Latex Math Mode in AUCtex
(setq LaTeX-math-mode t)

Disclaimer: I don't know anything about emacs lisp, though I keep meaning
to learn. If this makes your computer explode, please don't hold me
responsible.

If the above made no sense to you, I suggest looking at some emacs info. A
good starting point is Robert Chassell's wonderful emacs lisp
introduction. This is the Debian package emacs-lisp-intro. I read some of
this and should read it properly sometime.

Thanks for pointing out the existence of Latex-math mode, by the way. I
don't make much use of the capacities of AUCtex, though I use latex all
the time, and this looks like something that would be good to use (I do
lots of math writing).

                                              Faheem.