Re: AucTeX question

On Fri, 10 Aug 2001, Sabino Maggi wrote:

> > I think this is normal. If you want math mode enabled by default, I
> > suggest adding an appropriate line in .emacs.
> >
> > The following seems to work for me.
> >
> > ;;Latex Math Mode in AUCtex
> > (setq LaTeX-math-mode t)
>
> Thanks a lot for the info. Emacs/XEmacs is a completely new world to me.
> However, there is still a minor problem.
> In XEmacs, if I enable the math mode by hand, I get a new menu "Math"
> that is very handy to insert mathematical symbols.
> The addition you suggest to .emacs does enable Math Mode but the Math
> menu does not appear (I must disable and re-enable Math Mode to get the
> menu).
> Any hints???

Actually, the line I suggested is not suitable anyway. I took a look at
groups.google.com, and better is

(add-hook 'LaTeX-mode-hook 'LaTeX-math-mode)

I tried this out on my xemacs (though I normally use GNU emacs) and it
does indeed seem to give the math menu you describe. Let me know if it
doesn't (by email).

                                   Sincerely, Faheem Mitha.