Re: dist upgrade potato to woody 2.2 to 2.4 kernel

On Mon, Aug 06, 2001 at 02:09:51PM -0400, Michael P. Soulier wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 06, 2001 at 11:50:39AM -0500, Nathan E Norman wrote:
> > In this case, the difference is whether you're installing a debian
> > kernel-image or compiling your own.  The kernel images require an
> > initrd.  When you compile your own, it is of course up to you whether
> > you use an initrd or not.
> >
> > I run 2.4.7 ... just for the fun of it I tried an initrd with drivers
> > for my SCSI HBA.  I couldn't get it to work ;-)  Since I'm busy with
> > real world stuff I said to hell with it and compiled the SCSI driver
> > into the kernel proper ... initrd will have to wait.
>
>     Is there something that one loses when not using a ramdisk?

You lose the ability to remove something that's a module using the
ramdisk method.  Usually that's no big deal since said module is
critical anyway (SCSI HBA for the root fs, etc.)

initrd is a great thing for RAID, multiple systems (you only need one
kernel for myriad systems) ...

Micromuse Ltd.                 | than a perfect plan tomorrow.