Re: dist upgrade potato to woody 2.2 to 2.4 kernel

On Mon, Aug 06, 2001 at 12:19:05PM -0400, Michael P. Soulier wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 06, 2001 at 11:04:51AM -0500, Michael Heldebrant wrote:
> > Interesting.  My lilo.conf has no line about initrd and dmesg reports
> > nothing on ramdisks for my 2.4.7 system.  What type of systems need a
> > ramdisk to boot initially?
>
>     I understood that all 2.4 kernels do, but I suppose it depends on whether
> or not the builder of the kernel used one?

In this case, the difference is whether you're installing a debian
kernel-image or compiling your own.  The kernel images require an
initrd.  When you compile your own, it is of course up to you whether
you use an initrd or not.

I run 2.4.7 ... just for the fun of it I tried an initrd with drivers
for my SCSI HBA.  I couldn't get it to work ;-)  Since I'm busy with
real world stuff I said to hell with it and compiled the SCSI driver
into the kernel proper ... initrd will have to wait.

Micromuse Ltd.                 | than a perfect plan tomorrow.