dist upgrade potato to woody 2.2 to 2.4 kernel

Folks -

I've been having a terrible time attempting to upgrade my perfectly good
potato installation to the new woody
distribution including the 2.4 kernel. Each time I attempt to install the
kernel, I get a statement regarding initrd, and the upgrade fails.

I've looked high and low for documentation on this upgrade, but have failed
miserably in finding any. Can someone please point me to documentation to
get me over this hurdle. (yes, I've seen the potato docs to upgrade potato
to the 2.4 kernel but I'm looking to get to a full-blown woody
installation.)

All help appreciated.

Thanks.

Stephen L. Nosal