Re: Will my modem work?

Gurusami Annamalai wrote:

Also I am not sure why, but my computer vendor has also provided a modem
(Motorola SM56 PCI
Speakerphone Modem) which is attached to the COM3 port under Windows 98.
When I check under
the Control Panel->Modems->Diagnostics I see only the Motorola SM56 PCI
Speakerphone Modem.
This modem is plugged into one of the PCI expansion slots (as mentioned in
the snippet above).

i don't know this modem but it's quite unlikely that it will work with Linux since moust of the PCI modems are so called Winmodems.

I tried wvdial but it didn't detect my modem.  I asked it to specifically
look at /dev/ttyS2 (which is the
COM3 equivalent) but it gave an input/output error.

Try to configure pon with pppconfig. This tool will search for a modem and if you're lucky it will find yours. Then you can go online with pon and offline with poff.

Frank