Will my modem work?

Hello All,

I am using the KOB 810e FSFx mainboard.  (http://www.kobian.com)  It uses
the Intel 810e chipset.
In the manual it is written that

<snip>
The KOB 810e FSFx is installed with the enhanced Intel 810e chipset.  The
mainboard has built-in 3D graphics, 3D sound, and a V.90 modem.  Two 32-bit
PCI expansion slots are provided plus a TV-Out/LCD Panel Riser slot.
</snip>

Also I am not sure why, but my computer vendor has also provided a modem
(Motorola SM56 PCI
Speakerphone Modem) which is attached to the COM3 port under Windows 98.
When I check under
the Control Panel->Modems->Diagnostics I see only the Motorola SM56 PCI
Speakerphone Modem.
This modem is plugged into one of the PCI expansion slots (as mentioned in
the snippet above).

Is it possible that my vendor didn't provide me with that V.90 modem?  How
to know whether I have V.90 modem in my mainboard?

Apart from that since I am sure I have the Motorola SM56 PCI Speakerphone
Modem in my computer
(b'cos I can see it on the PCI slot) I would like to know if this modem will
work with Linux.  (I am using
Debian GNU/Linux 2.2).

I tried wvdial but it didn't detect my modem.  I asked it to specifically
look at /dev/ttyS2 (which is the
COM3 equivalent) but it gave an input/output error.

$ ls -l /dev/ttyS2
crw-rw----    1 root     dialout    4,  66 Jul  5  2000 /dev/ttyS2

$ cat /etc/wvdial.conf
[Dialer Defaults]
Modem = /dev/ttyS2
Phone = 172341
Username = drguruolai
Password = ******
New PPPD = yes
$

<comment> The Password field contained the actual password. </comment>

$ wvdial
--> WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.41
--> Cannot open /dev/ttyS2: Input/output error

All your help would be very much appreciated.

Thank you.

Sincerely,
anna