Re: Will my modem work?

#include <hallo.h>
Gurusami Annamalai wrote on Mon Jul 30, 2001 um 11:51:42AM:

> (Motorola SM56 PCI
> Speakerphone Modem) which is attached to the COM3 port under Windows 98.
> When I check under
> the Control Panel->Modems->Diagnostics I see only the Motorola SM56 PCI
> Speakerphone Modem.

Bullshit. The important question is: does the modem use a real hardware
port, or is the port emulated by a special windows driver? Look in
device manager in the same where COM and LPT ports are. If you can find
a COM3 there (maybe, some windrivers emulate good), look at its
properties. If it is using default IO and IRQ settings (IRQ=4, IO=2e8 or
3e8), then you are lucky, otherwise it is only a software-emulated
interface and you are out of luck.

> This modem is plugged into one of the PCI expansion slots (as mentioned in
> the snippet above).

IMHO >>90% of this PCI cards
- don't provide a hardware interface and depend on drivers (some of this
  may be accessed using propritary drivers, see www.linmodems.org)
- or even does not have important thinks like a signal processor (so
  they are even not real MoDems since they cannot Mo/Demodulate without
  software hacks), so all the signal calculations must be done by the
  driver (complicated to develop, in most cases only drivers for
  Win-9x).

> Is it possible that my vendor didn't provide me with that V.90 modem?  How
> to know whether I have V.90 modem in my mainboard?

If the vendor told you that _this_ modem is compatible with everything
without restrictions, bring this piece back and he must replace it with
a real modem.
But if he said something like "works perfectly with every Windows
application", better sell this thing to a windows user and by a real
modem with this money. They often external, better take one for the
seriall port - USB things may work, but there are still many
troublemaker.

http://sdb.suse.de/sdb/de/html/rb_internalmodem.html
http://walbran.org/sean/linux/linmodem-howto-all.html
http://www.o2.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html
http://www.idir.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html

> $ ls -l /dev/ttyS2
> crw-rw----    1 root     dialout    4,  66 Jul  5  2000 /dev/ttyS2

Well, without a corresponding driver in kernel you cannot do anything
with the device file.

Gruss/Regards,
Eduard.
--
void o(char c){printf("%c",c);}int main(){int a,b=0;char ciph[]= "91.92.7999 "
"yb Ugvuzm Hvmwg. Arxilhlug ivzoob hfxph !!!\n";while(a=ciph[b++]){if((a>='A')