Re: MTAs: rejecting senders with exim and delivering responses to rejected senders

On Thu, Jul 26, 2001 at 01:48:09AM +0200, Hans Wilmer wrote:
> > In your exim.conf add a line like this:
> >
> > host_reject_recipients = lsearch;/etc/mail/block/hosts
>
> I've set: sender_reject = /etc/exim.reject
>
> Specifying lsearch; seems to make a difference (unless this is the
> default lookup method). How does your file look like, and what's the
> reason for using lsearch?

Linear search - from top to bottom, I presume, because this
is a text file.

> > I have added it in the main configuration settings part,
> > just after the smtp_verify option.
>
> Hm, I did the same, though I don't know what the VRFY command does. I
> guess it was enabled in the default configuration file and I left it
> untoched.

according to my limited understanding, if the smtp_verify setting is
set to true then exim will check incoming mail to see if it is
orginating from a genuine smtp address.

> > Basically, this is telling exim that the IPs to be blocked
> > are in a file called hosts
> > located in /etc/mail/block; the lsearch means it is a text
> > file and a linear search has to be carried out to identify
> > IPs which have to be blocked.
>
> IPs? Then you must be blocking whole hosts instead of certain
> senders. I'm just specifying the sender addresses and make use
> wildcards where appropriate.

probably yes. i have a few IPs listed that seem to generate lots
of spam and are not yet in the mailabuse.net database.

> Hm, you seem to be using a different version of exim. What
> distribution are you using?

potato.

> Thank you very much for your help! :) Meanwhile, I've started thinking
> about using ETRN (with my own official domain) as it seems to fit my
> needs the best.

can't help you there. i haven'd dallied with anything other than exim -
it does the smtp bit from my own workstation and handles mail on my server.

sam
--
(Sam Varghese)
http://www.gnubies.com