Re: MTAs: rejecting senders with exim and delivering responses to rejected senders

On Sun, Jul 22, 2001 at 03:48:41AM +1000, Sam Varghese wrote:
> > Server: provides dial-up connection to ISP, runs qmail
> > 	qmail sends any non-local mail using smtp.SoftHome.net
> > 	  as remote SMTP server
> > 	The remote SMTP server accepts mail only when envelope-sender
> > 	  and From: line are set to my mail-address
> > 	  (yagibdah@softhome.net).
> > 	To get mail from my accounts, I'm running fetchmail to fetch it.
> >
> > Workstation: runs exim
> > 	     exim sends any non-local to Server, using it as a relay
> > 	     exim does address-rewriting, using /etc/email-addresses
>
> I have a simple question here - if you are able to block mail at the
> server level, why do you need to again block stuff from your workstation?

This is because I don't know how I could make qmail (on the server)
block the mails (fetched with fetchmail) before it sends them to the
workstation. Thus, I'm not able to block the mails at the server.

It's not that I'm blocking mails that originate from my
workstation. It's some mail from the outer world I don't want to
receive. --- Once I've seen some replacement for fetchmail that allows
to delete mails before even fetching them, but I'd prefer to send
error messages so that the senders of unwanted mail can discontinue
sending it.

BTW, meanwhile, using this setup, a mail has been blocked. It created
a bounce that itselfe bounced and ended up in my mailbox. Obviously,
everything behaves correctly, but the result is exactly what I don't
want ;) But now I can try to set up my ~/.mailfilter to catch the
blocked mails and forward them to the sender of the mail that was
blocked ...

Well, better solutions are appreciated :) I've been looking for
providers of mailhosting yesterday evening because things would be
easier if I had my own domain, but I couldn't find an appropriate
offer yet. To have my own domain with a multidrop mailbox with a quota
of at least 50 MB would be nice.

GH
--
Nieder mit der Mineralölsteuer!! Senkt die Benzinpreise!!

http://www.congressonlineproject.org/email.html: