Re: Scanner + printer choice

On Sun, Jul 15, 2001 at 02:17:43PM +1000, mdevin@ozemail.com.au wrote:
[...]
> I was considering one of those combo units with the printer and scanner
> together - preferably flat bed scanner, so I can do photocopying if
> really needed.

I have no experience with these. I'm rather suspicious of them though --- too
trendy.

> What experiences do people have with these?  I have been looking at the
> HP ones but the scanner drivers seem heavily in development.

I have used two scanners, both scsi: Epson Perfection 636 (used, ~$70) and HP
ScanJet IIp (very old). Both worked without trouble using Sane.

> Is it advisable to stick with laser printers so that you have ps
> capability straight off?

Most lasers are not PS, unless they are from Apple or Xerox. HP lasers are
generally well-supported and of good quality. I will neven again buy an
inkjet because they wear out quickly and the output does not look as nice as
laser output. (I don't care about color, either.)

--
Henry House