Scanner + printer choice

I have decided to purchase a new scanner and printer - especially since
Canon seem unwilling to help development of drivers for their scanners.
I intend to ditch my Canon models to a friend and won't buy Canon again.

I was considering one of those combo units with the printer and scanner
together - preferably flat bed scanner, so I can do photocopying if
really needed.

What experiences do people have with these?  I have been looking at the
HP ones but the scanner drivers seem heavily in development.

Is it advisable to stick with laser printers so that you have ps
capability straight off?

What suggestions do people have?

Thanks for advice.
Mark.