Re: Scanner + printer choice

On Sun, 15 Jul 2001 14:17:43 +1000
mdevin@ozemail.com.au wrote:

> I have decided to purchase a new scanner and printer - especially since
> Canon seem unwilling to help development of drivers for their scanners.
> I intend to ditch my Canon models to a friend and won't buy Canon again.
>
> I was considering one of those combo units with the printer and scanner
> together - preferably flat bed scanner, so I can do photocopying if
> really needed.
>
> What experiences do people have with these?  I have been looking at the
> HP ones but the scanner drivers seem heavily in development.

<snip>
Yeah I've done the same with Canon equipment. I also disadvised them to
friends looking for cheap equipment, so this behaviour is costing them
customers alright.
As regards the HP combo units, I use a PSC500, and the scanner works just
fine. In fact the scanner drivers are much better quality than the printer
drivers. As long as you read the install instructions carefully, they
should give you no problems. They are supposed to work with 2.4 series
kernels as well, but I haven't got them to build against that yet.
I can definitely recommend HP gear for the quality.

Good luck,

Mart

--
Baby even the losers get lucky sometimes
Even the losers keep a little bit of pride

Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers - Even The Losers