Re: Scanner + printer choice

I have an older HP LaserJet 4 printer that I got off of ebay, and an
equally old UMAX Astra 1200S SCSI Scanner that I also got off of ebay. I
forget exactly how much I paid for each, but it was certainly less than
retail, and I feel I got pretty good hardware to boot.

CUPS works wonderfully with the printer, and Sane/XSane works wonderfully
with the scanner. Personally I think SCSI scanners are the way to go. The
one I have is significantly faster than the brand new Acer USB scanner I
use at work. Granted if you don't already have a SCSI card, this can be a
bit of an annoyance, but old adaptec 2940s are pretty cheap on ebay as
well.

Sean