Re: diskless terms and NFS/alternatives (was Re: NFS alternative)

* D-Man (dsh8290@rit.edu) spake thusly:
> On Mon, Jul 16, 2001 at 01:43:34PM -0500, Dimitri Maziuk wrote:
> | There are other networked file systems out there, like Coda, more modern
> | and arguably better than NFS. If you only need to support linux, why not
> | use one of them? Or [e]nbd?
>
> They're both going to be Debian.  Can I use root-over-$FS for those
> filesystems?  Are they stable?

No idea to both.  You shouldn't have any problems with NFS, other than
when network/server goes titsup. I expect any network file system will
have a problem with that.

[e]nbd is not a filesystem, it's a raw block device exported via network
([Enhanced] Network Block Device). IIRC someone was going to package nbd
for Debian, no idea about the status of that, either.

Dima
--
E-mail dmaziuk at bmrb dot wisc dot edu (@work) or at crosswinds dot net (@home)
http://www.bmrb.wisc.edu/descript/gpgkey.dmaziuk.ascii -- GnuPG 1.0.4 public key