Re: Getting dselect and apt-* to work from a local file system

I just tried what was suggested to me, and then looked around the system further in hopes of finding something that might help, but had no luck. When I tried dpkg --update-avail /dists/stable/main/binary-i386/Packages, everything went fine, apparently, with the only message I received being "Information about 1 package(s) was updated". I thought it might be a good time to give dselect a try, so I did, but when I tried to Update I got the usual "dpkg: parse error, in file '/var/cache/apt/available' near line 600 package 'navigator': duplicate value for user-defined field 'meta-package' update available list script returned error exit status 2." error. So I tried the dpkg --update-avail command with the contrib and non-free Package files, and got errors there. When I tried contrib, it was "dpkg: parse error, in file '/dists/stable/contrib/binary-i386/Packages' near line 1415 package 'navigator': duplicate value for user-defined field 'meta-package'" When I tried non-free, it was "dpkg: parse error, in file '/dists/stable/non-free/binary-i386/Packages' near line 4593 package 'netscape-smotif-472-libc5': duplicate value for user-defined field 'meta-package'". Of course, dselect didn't get past the Update step after doing these last two dpkg --update-avail commands either. I don't know what dpkg's problem with either meta-package fields or Netscape is, but these are just copies of the exact same Package files one finds on the Debian mirrors. I am at quite a loss here as to what to do. If anyone knows why my dpkg seems to have an attitude, please tell me. I have tried this process on two computers and I get the exact same problem on both. This is a strange little problem indeed. I'll stick with this though until it seems that there is nothing we can do to make it work.

                                      Tommy McDaniel