Re: NFS alternative

On Mon, Jul 16, 2001 at 03:56:02PM +1000, Brian May wrote:

|     Jeremy> Two possible suggestions: - tunnel the NFS traffic over an
|     Jeremy> SSH traffic (similar to remote X sessions)
|
| Can you use SSH to tunnel UDP traffic???
|
| (I didn't think it was possible, and last I heard, NFS over TCP was
| still very experimental)

Interesting ... from my understanding UDP is a connectionless
protocol, and as such packets aren't guaranteed to arrive at the
destination.  It seems to me that for a file system, you really want
all the packets to arrive.  How is this not a problem?  (BTW, I'm just
beginning in networking programming and have no NFS experience yet,
but don't be afraid to give gory programming details :-))

-D