Re: The format (or lack thereof) of the list...

On Fri, Jul 13, 2001 at 09:16:50AM -0500, Dave Sherohman wrote:
| On Thu, Jul 12, 2001 at 06:01:39PM -0400, D-Man wrote:
| > On Thu, Jul 12, 2001 at 03:42:33PM -0500, Dave Sherohman wrote:
| > | Or, better, just tell it that debian-user is a list.  Maybe I'm just
| > | doing something wrong, but whenever I add a "subscribe <list>" to my
| > | .muttrc, the to/from column shows "To <listname>" for all list
| > | messages.  If I use "lists <list>", it does the Right Thing and shows
| > | the sender's name.
| > |
| > | Of course, if anyone could tell me what I've done wrong...
| >
| > What you did wrong was leave mutt with the default settings ;-).  I
| > suppose it's useful if you don't have procmail to tell you already
| > which list the message came from.  Here's what I do (lots of
| > irrelevant options snipped):
|
| You missed a few.  Unless mutt is far stranger than I think, handling
| of reply-to on lists, forward formats, and sort orders have nothing
| at all to do with whether sender or recipient addresses are
| displayed.  The index format seems to be the only thing actually
| relevant.

You're right, the index format was the (one) thing you were looking
for, but I included the rest of those options because I find them
useful and, somewhat, related (and someone may not have been aware of
those capabilities).

| Thanks, though, for pointing me at the right part of TFM to R!

You're welcome.  Actually, now that I think of it, someone posted an
index format a while back that shows either the length of the message
_or_ the number of messages in the thread if the thread is collapsed.
That would use less screen real estate than my (current) format that
shows the length of the first message _and_ the thread length if it is
collapsed.  I've been meaning to copy it so I can have longer subject
lines, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

-D