Re: Not Debian related. wvdial

On Saturday 07 July 2001 17:42, Kent West wrote:

> I don't know how familiar you are with Linux, so let me ask the first
> obvious question: is your modem a so-called "winmodem"? If so, you're
> not likely to ever get it to work with Redhat (or Debian, or BeOS, or
> OS/2, or anything except what the manufacture decides to let you use
> with it). Winmodems and winprinters are, in my estimation, absolute trash.

I disagree.  I have a Lucent winmodem on two machines and I've gotten it to
work on both.  Granted, it's a special case, because they've released a
half-open source driver (it can be recompiled for a different kernel version,
but uses a propreitary library) but hey, it works great for me.  And there's
even an installation script that makes a deb package!

limodem.org, i believe... marvin stodolsky's website for the lucent driver
specifically.

--Brendan