Re: [OT] Harassment of open source developer !

on Wed, Jul 04, 2001 at 07:04:32PM -0400, Carl Fink (carlf@nitpicking.com) wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 04, 2001 at 05:39:33PM -0400, Jason Healy wrote:
> > Probably because if you don't protect your trademarks in this country,
> > they fall into the public domain.  That's why you can say "asprin"
> > when you want to cure a headache (because Bayer didn't defend its
> > trademark) . . .
>
> Urban myth.  Actually the trademark was invalidated after World War One (in
> the Versaille Treaty, according to some sources I've seen) because Bayer was
> a German company.  It's still a valid mark in Europe.

Not sure if it was after the treaty or during the war.  The US branch of
the company was liquidated/nationalized/appropriated by the US, and the
trademark voided, according to several different angles I've heard.
I've researched this casually a few times over the years but never
really found a definitive answer, odd, as it's such a striking example
of trademark loss.

Loss of a trademark is not altogether straightforward, Adobe appears to
be acting overly aggressively in this case.

   Are these opinions my employer's?  Hah!  I don't believe them myself!