Re: Not Debian related. wvdial

On Sun, Jul 08, 2001 at 08:54:17AM -0400, Wayne wrote:
| The output from wvdial 2>&1 | tee wvdial.out
[...]
| The output from ifconfig ---
[...]
| ppp0      Link encap:Point-to-Point Protocol
|           inet addr:216.204.114.201  P-t-P:216.204.109.6
| Mask:255.255.255.255
[...]
| The output from   route -n
[...]

This all looks good.  wvdial was talking with your modem, got the
login prompts from your ISP and started up PPP.  ifconfig shows that
you have a connection.

| After I do all this I then start Netscape and try to go to some web page.
| The responds I get it that Netscape is unable to locate the web page.
|
| I tried to telnet into my isp, but I get host name undefind. I don't
| know which file telnet is looking into for the host name.

You have a connection now.  Now all you need is to set up DNS (Domain
Name Service).  Add a line in /etc/resolv.conf that looks like

nameserver 129.21.3.17

then telnet, netscape, etc, will know where to look to figure out what
IP address belongs to the name you told it.  If you were to try
specifying an IP instead of a name it would have worked for you.

-D