Re: [OT] Linux is different (used to be Why is setting up X so arcane?)

On Thu, 28 Jun 2001 20:04:40 +0100
Nikki Locke <nikki@trumphurst.com> wrote:

> In article <[🔎] 20010628153333.28315.qmail@web12803.mail.yahoo.com>, Hamma
<snip>
> > <useful stuff>
> > One thing I did learn is if your session is hung you
> > can type <ALT>F2-F6 to get to another login session.
> > This way, you can shut your machine down properly.
> > </useful stuff>
>
> Thanks. I did know that. The machine really was hung.

<snip more>
For the record, I installed Debian on a friends PC with an S3Virge card. I
had the same experience: misconfigure X and you have solid lockup. S3
based cards appear to be finicky creatures.

Mart