RE: [OT] Linux is different (used to be Why is setting up X so arcane?)

One sojourner's story...

With my ATI Xpert98 card and "no-name" monitor (it had "ICON" on the front
bezel, but that's all I could find out) I had to constantly play XF86Setup.
But I did get things to work.

Finally, after about the third clean install I took careful notes along the
way too since when we get into these situations we often "thrash" get things
working and then can't remember what we did!  I need to make a note that I
did quite a few installs on purpose as I was trying different things out
with disks and disk partitions and the like.

What blew me away the first time I experienced it was the fact that the
resolution that the Xserver would "allow" me to use very dependent on the
monitor that I selected!

Recently I got an AOpen F50L LCD screen.  That helped a bit as I had some
specs.  Then I wanted to build a new machine so while I was at it I picked
up a Matrox M200 for $49.

When I did the (new) install of Potato from CDs I couldn't believe it.  For
the first time ever Anxious came up!!  It had never detected my ATI card,
but was happy with the Matrox.

X can seem a bit nasty, but it can be made to work.  Course it's nice to get
a good soft pillow to put between your head and the wall!  It's nice to have
some brains left to enjoy *using* the system once you get it configured!

I apologize that there is so little advice here - other than spending $50 or
so for a supported card.  Perhaps the "you are not alone" factor will
relieve some of the pain.

My system is now stable, enjoyable and becoming more and more of a work
horse for me.

Cheers,
-rick