[OT] Linux is different (used to be Re: Why is setting up X so arcane?)

I'm pretty new to the Linux environment myself and I
can understand you're growing pains.

<useful stuff>
One thing I did learn is if your session is hung you
can type <ALT>F2-F6 to get to another login session.
This way, you can shut your machine down properly.
</useful stuff>
> So, having drawn a blank, I went in and used
> XF86Setup to set up the S3
> driver, but clicking the "Done" button hung my
> machine solid. Rebooting
> showed my filesystems to be partly trashed. Oh
> great!
>
> I'll restate my original complaint - Why is it so
> difficult to set up X?

[ the following is the opinion of the sender]

Being a programmer, I've learned languages, some more
"arcane" than others. By coming to a different
environment you should resign to the fact that you
will be scanning newsgroups and mail-groups, combing
through things for valuable information.

I came here to learn. Learn the environment, how to
best exploit it to my ends, and learn how things work.

It's just the nature of the beast. If you don't want
to learn this new environment, I'm sure you can stay
with Windows and not be bothered learning how to
configure X, apache and its Secure Socket Layer, write
Python scripts, Perl scripts, shell scripts, etc.

I ask you, how did you learn you're favorite
application, if not hitting help files, books, and
maybe even news groups. Now instead of an application,
you're diving into an entirely different environment.
If you want to learn be prepared to hit man pages,
HOWTO links, and even e-mail groups to learn.

I apologize for this off-topic rant.

Scott