Re: [OT] Linux is different (used to be Why is setting up X so arcane?)

> Whereas I was working with different flavours of
> Unix as far back as
> 1986. But I've never had to configure X before.
>
> I have configured apache, SSL, written shell
> scripts, PHP, C, C++, and
> Java. I'm still finding this much more difficult
> than I think it should
> be. Maybe I've just got a mental block.
>
> I have read about 100 pages of documentation on
> configuring X, and, as
> I said before, understood about 50% of it. I have
> even tried
> experimenting (and got my filesystem burned in the
> process).
Well, if you've done all that, you have outclassed my
experience in the *nix world (stay around so I can ask
you some questions esp. apache, once I get a handle on
what to ask ;-))
If I remember, at the beginning, you were not sure
about the monitor or the video card. Maybe you can do
some "hardware reorganization" at work and swap for a
monitor and video card with a pedigree.
Just a thought.

Scott