Re: MouseMan ??

Hall Stevenson wrote:

> > > This is with XFREE86 4.0.x
> > >
> > > The wheel generally works.  The thumb button duplicates
> > > button 2.
> >
> >   is there any way to set thumb (side) button to do
> > something else? like double click?
>
> I think XFree86 only makes the buttons "available". It doesn't
> necessarily define *what* the buttons do. You may look into
> "xmodmap" and what you're window manager can do.

  the problem here is that I was never able to make it work as six
button mouse (left, middle, right, wheel up, wheel down, side), it
always pretends to have just 5 buttons. so there's nothing I can do with
xmodmap.

  I have following settings in /etc/XF86Config-4:

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Logitech Cordless MouseMan Wheel"
        Driver          "mouse"
        Option          "CorePointer"
        Option          "Protocol"              "IMPS/2"
        Option          "Device"                "/dev/psaux"
        Option          "Emulate3Buttons"       "false"
        Option          "Buttons"               "6"
EndSection

  I ran:

xmodmap -e "pointer = 1 2 3 4 5 6"

  yet the xev shows that both clicking the middle button (clicking with
the wheel) and clicking the side button both produce the both result:

ButtonPress event, serial 18, synthetic NO, window 0x2200001,
    root 0x32, subw 0x0, time 868716552, (2,140), root:(1024,285),
    state 0x0, button 2, same_screen YES

ButtonRelease event, serial 18, synthetic NO, window 0x2200001,
    root 0x32, subw 0x0, time 868716751, (2,140), root:(1024,285),
    state 0x200, button 2, same_screen YES

ButtonPress event, serial 18, synthetic NO, window 0x2200001,
    root 0x32, subw 0x0, time 868717677, (2,140), root:(1024,285),
    state 0x0, button 2, same_screen YES

ButtonRelease event, serial 18, synthetic NO, window 0x2200001,
    root 0x32, subw 0x0, time 868717850, (2,140), root:(1024,285),
    state 0x200, button 2, same_screen YES

  running:

xmodmap -e "pointer = 2 1 3 4 5 6"

  makes the clicking the physical leftmost button to be understood as
button 2 by xev and both middle button and side button are understood as
1!

  I tried:

xmodmap -e "pointer = 6 2 3 4 5 1"

  which makes physical button one act as button 6 (xev is my witness)
but side button is still button 2 (as far as xev is concerned).

  it looks like no matter what I do the sidebutton is tied to middle
button. It is definitely not hardware because in windows the side button
has function independent of middle button.

  Is it a bug/feature of X mouse driver? Does it make sense to file a
bug? (it's not filed yet, at least I haven't found anything that would
look like the problem above)

	erik