Re: program response sluggish compared to Win98

On Sat, Jun 09, 2001 at 06:07:25PM +0200, Alex Suzuki wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 09, 2001 at 08:02:40AM -0400, Rob Mahurin wrote:
> > You are wrong --- WP8 was natively written for Linux.  It's WP9, aka
> > WP2000, that's run under wine, and wow is it horrible.
>
> Does anybody know how the Corel Office Suite (WP2000) compares to
> StarOffice in terms of performance & compatbility to M$-Word format?
> I have StarOffice installed here, and hey, I mean I've got a
> 750 MhZ Duron processor, a quick harddrive and 512 Megs of RAM,
> and I still wouldn't recommend it!

I have a Pentium 200, with 40 MB RAM.  StarOffice is too slow to be
useable.  WordPerfect was slightly less sluggish, but so unstable as
to be useless; it frequently crashed for no good reason.  In addition,
it didn't understand the way that my windowmanager did focus
(focus-follows-mouse in fvwm), so bringing up a dialog box caused
everything to hang for as much as a minute while the focus shifted
rapidly from the main window to the dialog box and back.  Entirely
unsatisfactory.

It's possible that you might have a better experience on your faster
machine, but a friend with dual-processor box installed from my CD and
called me the next day to ask, "Is it _supposed_ to work this badly?"

Just my experience.  Didn't get to try and Word documents.

Rob

--
Paranoid Club meeting this Friday.  Now ... just try to find out where!