Help: removing ximian from testing

Hi,
    I upgraded from 2.2 to Testing and find some very strange
behaviours. I cannot get a mouse to work under X - my previous
settings were for Gnome/icewm. I can get the mouse, a Synaptics
Touchpad to work on a console with gpm. The X server itself now
works.

I had upgraded Gnome to Helix and then to Ximian 1.4. I attempted
to remove ximian and go back to 1.0 but do not seem to have
succeded.  I find I have 23+ ximian files and they are all well down
the dependency tree.  There are quite a number of broken
packages. I now seem to have a mixture of gnome packages from
1.0/1.2 & 1.4.

I used the Ximian installer to download the debs and start the
installation but had to finish the installation by hand. All the debs
are in the same directory /etc/cache/redcarpet.

If someone has experience with removing ximian I would be
gratefull for some suggestions on how to go about it.

The computer is a Gateway 5150 laptop, PII-233 64MB RAM.

TIA,
      Tim Wood